All dating site br
(Above) We start with a lovely colour shot of a Class 8P Pacific 46231 Duchess of Atholl at Crewe Works.
After nationalisation in 1948, the newly-formed British Railways tried out a number of liveries with a view to adopting a future standard for its express-passenger engines of Class 8 power classification (dark blue) and for its fleet of express-passenger locomotives with a lower tractive effort (light green).
Note the wooden blocks on the buffer beam which were ideal for dock shunting purposes.
) was photographed by Richard Greenwood at Newton Heath shed on a very gloomy 18 February 1967 as it was being prepared to work three brakevan trips between Rochdale and Whitworth the following day.
Established in 1988, the origins of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Trust can be traced back to the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Preservation Society when a group of Rochdale railway enthusiasts led by Richard S Greenwood, formed the L&Y Saddletank Fund and acquired 3 locomotives, a carriage and 3 wagons.
In 1987 the 'Fund' changed its identity to the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Preservation Society and started negotiations to form a Charity to secure the collection, thus ensuring that the influence of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway continues to the present day.
The class was adopted by the LMS as a standard light passenger engine and many went to Scotland for service on the Glasgow and South West routes.
However, with the onset of dieselisation and the introduction of more modern BR Standard steam classes they were early candidates for withdrawal.
(Below) Sporting a St Albans (14C) shedplate on the smokebox door No 40024 - one of twenty Fowler Class 3MT tanks (Nos 40021-40040) fitted with condensing apparatus for working the Metropolitan widened lines through the tunnels to Moorgate Street - is seen heading a suburban service at Aldersgate & Barbican(Above-Below) Introduced in February 1935, the Stanier 3MT 2-6-2T was a development of the earlier 1930's Fowler 2-6-2T mentioned above.
Both classes were identical in many respects; the Stanier engines had the same 5ft 3in driving wheels, 3ft 3½ins pony wheels and trailing wheels, identical sized cylinders at 17½in X 26ins, the same 21,485lb tractive effort, 200 in.
(Above) This once popular and highly efficient class produced some splendid performances during the earlier years of grouping on the Birmingham two-hour expresses from Euston, and also duties in Scotland on the former Caledonian Railway and G&SWR main lines.
(Inset) The class was developed from the original five 7ft 'Compound' 4-4-0s introduced in 1902 by Samuel W.
Eventually a lighter shade of blue was chosen for its large express locos, which included the Peppercorn and Gresley Pacifics of the Eastern and North Eastern Regions, the ex-SR 'Merchant Navy' Pacifics of the Southern Region, the ex-GWR 'King' class 4-6-0s for the Western Region and Stanier's ex-LMSR Pacifics.